Saturday, November 17, 2018

I'm not Missing

I'm not Missing
by Carrie Fountain

Miranda is best friends with Syd.  They both have something in common that bonded them: both are motherless.  Miranda's mother abandoned her to join a cult when she was 8 and never saw her again.  It's not clear what happened to Syd's mother, just that she is not there and that her father has remarried. 

Syd is on her way to an Ivy League school, does well in school, has started several successful school clubs and is doing well.  Then one day, suddenly and seemingly for no reason, Syd disappears.  She leaves a note that says "I'm not missing" so at least her family knows that no fowl play was involved and she had purposely disappeared.

Miranda is left behind wondering why her friend has disappeared.  What happened?  Why did she leave without telling her?  Along the way, Miranda falls in love with Nick as they search for answers.

Syd's parents (father and stepmother) were cold and uncaring.  When she goes missing, they cut off her phone, report the car as stolen and even move shortly after.  This was quite a contrast from Miranda's father.  He was very caring, a great dad who genuinely cared about his daughter.  

I kept reading as the mystery about where Syd had gone was interesting.  I was a bit disappointed when you find out about what had happened.  Really?  That's it.  I don't want to give away the ending for those who haven't read the book, but I don't really care for Syd.  She seems selfish and not a very good friend, and she makes poor choices.  Her running away wasn't necessary, she should have gone to college like she had planned.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Reviews!

Hello! I am a mom, wife, dog-owner, librarian and an avid reader.  I thought it might be fun to start a blog about the books that I am cur...