Sunday, November 11, 2018

Someone I used to Know

Someone I used to Know
by Patty Blount


This book looks at the aftermath of a rape.  Ashley is raped and this book flips between before the rape happened and her life two years later.

I found this book relevant in the current #metoo movement.  It's an emotional read.  It's two years later and she still lives in fear.  You see how the rape has torn her family apart.  Her parents rarely communicate with each other anymore.  At one time Ashley was very close to her brother, and they are now distant.  When it comes down to it, she feels that he failed her and wasn't there for her, and he is overcome with guilt about not preventing the rape.  He feels he should have done something more to prevent his sister from getting hurt.

I thought this book really got into the aftermath of he rape and how it can effect numerous people down the road.  It also talks about the brother going to meetings at school and how to help others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Reviews!

Hello! I am a mom, wife, dog-owner, librarian and an avid reader.  I thought it might be fun to start a blog about the books that I am cur...