Thursday, December 20, 2018

Orphan Train

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
This novel is divided between two stories: Vivian in the 1930s on the Orphan Train and Molly in the present day. 
After a tragedy, Vivian becomes an orphan at a young age.  She is taken on a train to the Midwest where orphans were dropped off at cities as the train went along.  The Orphan Train is based off of actual events as there really was a train that dropped orphans off to new homes.  Along the way, kids are mistreated, abused, and generally treated poorly. 
Present day Molly is also an orphan.  She dresses Goth and appears rough around the edges.  She gets in trouble and part of her community service is to help an elderly lady, Vivian, clean up her attic.  As they begin clearing up the attic, Molly and Vivian begin talking about Vivian’s past.  Soon they realize they have more in common than they first realized.
            I really enjoyed this book.  At times it was hard to read.  Yes, the book is fiction, but it is based on a real event.  Children were really mistreated and treated like slaves.  The abuse of children was hard to read since I have two young children myself.  I liked the combination of characters of Molly and Vivian; I enjoyed the rotating back and forth between the two characters. 
            I would read this author again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Reviews!

Hello! I am a mom, wife, dog-owner, librarian and an avid reader.  I thought it might be fun to start a blog about the books that I am cur...