Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The Intermission

The Intermission
by Elyssa Friedland


Johnathan and Cass have been married for 6-years; The novel is told in alternating chapters between the two.  They have decided it's a good time to try to start a family, and on the night they were to start trying for a baby (they waited after a certain amount of time for Cass to get off of her birth control and for the hormones to all leave her body) Cass tells her husband she wants a break.

How horrible as Johnathan wasn't expecting this.  He was expecting them to start a family, not to become separated.  They live in New York, and Cass ends up moving across the country for the "intermission" that they have decided of six months.

They decide to rotate their dog every month to the other person.  Now, flying across the country every month just to switch a dog around sounds expensive and just ridiculous.  What a mess this would have been if they had already had children.  It just would have confused them since they weren't sure if they were going to stay together or not.

When I read, I like to be rooting for my main character.  And these were both, well, a bit annoying.  I particularly did not care for Cass.  She just seemed self-centered.  Johnathan wasn't perfect either, but between the two I liked him better.

I'm not sure I cared for the ending.  Spoiler: maybe such a flaky couple shouldn't be together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Reviews!

Hello! I am a mom, wife, dog-owner, librarian and an avid reader.  I thought it might be fun to start a blog about the books that I am cur...