Thursday, November 8, 2018

My Year of Rest and Relaxation

My Year of Rest and Relaxation
by  

I'm not sure what made me pick this one up at the library.  It was on the new book shelf, which is my favorite spot to pick out books to read.  

This book was well, just odd.  Our main character, is young, thin, pretty and a recent Columbia graduate.  Her apartment and everything else is paid for by her inheritance.  She doesn't have to worry about money, she doesn't have to worry about anything.  

She goes to see a psychiatrists who keeps giving her more prescriptions.  I don't know if the blatant lying of how she was feeling to score more pills to take was worse, or her wacky psychiatrists. 

She wants more and more pills, I have no idea how she could even keep track of everything she was on.  Or why that wasn't sending a dozen red flags when someone is on so many pills.  Either way, she mopes around and just takes more and more pills that she gets lying to her psychiatrists.  She ignores everything going on around her, including her one friend that tries to check on her.  And her friend needs helps too!

Towards the end of the book she is taking a pill that knocks her out for three days at a time.  She takes one, wakes up long enough to eat, shower, stay up for a brief amount of time and then takes another pill.

This book was depressing.  And then I see it's up for one of the Goodreads awards.  Why?!?  I feel like maybe I completely missed something with this book as I thought it was one of the most depressing books I have read.

If you have read this book, and liked it, please share below why.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Reviews!

Hello! I am a mom, wife, dog-owner, librarian and an avid reader.  I thought it might be fun to start a blog about the books that I am cur...