Monday, December 31, 2018

Lolita

Lolita
by Vladimir Nabokov


About a month or so ago I read Rust & Stardust, which I found out was based on the true story of a young girl abducted by a pedophile and and then being mentally and physically assaulted for two years.  Horrifying and sad.  It was mentioned that Vladimir Nabokov was inspired by that true story when he wrote Lolita.

Humbert Humbert has fallen in love with Lolita, a 12-year-old.  He marries her mother in order to be close to her.  After her mother dies, he takes her on a road trip. The book is narrated from Humbert's point of view, so it's angled his way.  He makes it sound like the 12-year-old is the one who seduced him and how he is the victim.  It's a bit twisted to read.

I have mixed feelings about this book.  It ended up to be a quick read, the book is well-written.  But he's a pedophile lusting after a child which is just wrong and disturbing.  It was almost like a train wreck that you just couldn't stop reading.  I wanted to find out what happened to Lolita, if she was ever able to get free and away from Humbert.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Reviews!

Hello! I am a mom, wife, dog-owner, librarian and an avid reader.  I thought it might be fun to start a blog about the books that I am cur...