Saturday, January 5, 2019

Hazards of Time Travel

Hazards of Time Travel
by Joyce Carol Oates

Okay, I will admit this book caught my eye because of the cover, and then I read the title and went oh, that sounds interesting!

This book starts out in the future, the world is no longer like it is now.  Everybody is watched and has to be careful of what they say.  Our main character is valedictorian of her class, which is apparently not a good thing.  Teens would purposely try not to do too well in school.   She makes an offensive speech and is arrested.  

After being interrogated, she is told she is being sent to be rehabilitated.  She is sent 80 years into the past to 1959 in Wisconsin.  Her sentence is four years, enough time to finish college.  She is shocked to see a typewriter and it was interesting reading her response to the different way of life from what she was used to.

I really enjoyed this one.  It was imaginative, just something different to read.  I read a few other reviews on Goodreads, and it looks like people have mixed feelings about this one.  I thought it was pretty good, others didn't.  People like different books and that's okay.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Reviews!

Hello! I am a mom, wife, dog-owner, librarian and an avid reader.  I thought it might be fun to start a blog about the books that I am cur...