Monday, January 28, 2019

The Druggist of Auschwitz

The Druggist of Auschwitzby Dieter Schlesak


This one was a little different.  There is a fictional account of Adam, recounting his time in Auschwitz.  And between the fictional narrative, are excerpts of actual testimony at the Frankfurt Auschwitz Trial of 1963-1965, about Dr. Victor Capesius.  There are also interviews with survivors.

The fictional parts are in italics to help the reader distinguish between the factual and fictional accounts.  This did help to figure out which part I was reading.  I read some other reviews on Goodreads, and I agreed that this might have been better as a straight nonfiction book.  The interviews, the facts, it's well researched and could have been better as a nonfiction book.  The fictional character of Adam seemed to weaken the book.

This was filled with horrifying details about Auschwitz.  A disturbing read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Reviews!

Hello! I am a mom, wife, dog-owner, librarian and an avid reader.  I thought it might be fun to start a blog about the books that I am cur...