Friday, May 31, 2019

The Silence

The Silence
by Tim Lebbon


So I watched the netflix movie The Silence first and then found out it was based off of a book.  I liked the movie so I thought I would like the book too.

The novel rotates between a teenage girl Ally who became deaf in a car accident when she was nine.  And now the whole family is fluent in sign language.  (Very handy when you want to communicate with others and need to remain silent.)  The other side of the story is through her father's eyes as he struggles to keep his family safe and worries about them.

Mysterious creatures have escaped from a cave that has been shut off for a very long time.  These creatures are blind, but anything that makes noise they attack.  And then they leave their eggs in their victims and multiply like crazy. You must be silent or they attack and kill you.  Scary.

I liked at the beginning of the chapters you would have little snippets of different things around the world, whether it was a BBC news broadcast, a Facebook update, tweet, etc, from around the world.  This gave you an idea of what was going on in the rest of the world or how the creatures were spreading.  It was bad.  And scary.

This reminded me a bit of Bird Box, and I liked both stories, both original in their own way.  I noticed while reading the book, I myself wanted to stay quiet.  I almost didn't even want to talk in between reading the chapters.  It was an interesting idea.  It makes you think what would happen to you and your family if this had happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Reviews!

Hello! I am a mom, wife, dog-owner, librarian and an avid reader.  I thought it might be fun to start a blog about the books that I am cur...