Thursday, June 27, 2019

There will be Lies

There will be Lies
by Nick Lake


Shelby is 17 years old when she is hit by a car and it changes her life.  She lives with her mom, is home-schooled, and is deaf.  She didn't hear the car coming.  After she is in the hospital, her mom tells her they are going on vacation and suddenly they are traveling.  Her mom is acting strange as they never go on vacation and timing right after her accident is just odd.

This ended up to be a quick read, I wanted to know what was going on.  Why was her mom acting strange?  What was the truth and what was a lie?  Because she wasn't given a straight, honest answer.  

And then in between these chapters of Shelby on the run with her mom, there were parts of another world.  Shelby wold go into a science fiction dreamlike world.  That part was a bit weird and I wasn't expecting that.  I don't mind reading science fiction, I guess I just wasn't expecting it in this book.  I just didn't care much for that part.  I was more interested in what was happening to Shelby and her mom.  

Shelby being deaf and communicating via sign language and reading lips was interesting.  If someone wasn't facing her when they were talking, she couldn't read their lips and so couldn't understand them.  And people couldn't tell that she was deaf unless they told them as it's not something that is obvious.

You do eventually find out what's going on.  Why Shelby's mom was suddenly basically on the run and what she was afraid of.  Yes, there is a reason.  Interesting and makes you wonder what you would do if you were them, the different people that were effected by Shelby's mom's decision.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Reviews!

Hello! I am a mom, wife, dog-owner, librarian and an avid reader.  I thought it might be fun to start a blog about the books that I am cur...