Sunday, February 10, 2019

Katerina

Katerina
by James Frey


This one ended up to be different from what I expected when I read what it was about at the library and added it to my stack of books to check out.  

What I read: ".... is a sweeping love story alternating between 1992 Paris and Los Angeles in 2018.  At its center are a young writer and a young model on the verge of fame, both reckless, impulsive, addicted, and deeply in love. Twenty-five years later, the writer is rich, famous, and numb, and he wants to drive his car into a tree, when he receives an anonymous message that draws him back to the life, and possibly the love, he abandoned years prior."

Well, okay, that sounded like a good story.  A tale of two people in 1992 and 2018.  I have read other books that have jumped between two time periods, or a couple characters and they have been good.

After starting it, I read a little and then started looking at reviews.  I have not read A Million Little Pieces, his controversial book that was sold as a memoir and then later people found out that he embellished parts.  Some people said Katerina was a bit of a memoir.  I take it he took pieces from his real life and embellished them, since well, this is a novel and he can.

This is the first James Frey book that I have read and I wonder if this is his normal style of writing?  There was a paragraph that went on for two pages, and it seems a bit, well rambling.  The really long paragraphs can make it hard to follow, especially when many times I'm reading while the kids are playing and they like to interrupt me.

I only got about a third of the way through this book before just deciding to move along.  I always have a stack of books to read, and if I'm not enjoying a book I will just move on.  There is no reason to suffer through a terrible book I'm just not into.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Reviews!

Hello! I am a mom, wife, dog-owner, librarian and an avid reader.  I thought it might be fun to start a blog about the books that I am cur...